Patients often have the most interesting and valid questions when preparing for a cosmetic dental procedure. If you have been deliberating on getting veneers for cosmetic purposes, your first question will probably be, “will they really look natural?”Veneers belong to the category of dentistry called Cosmetic Dentistry. The procedure involves scraping off a thin layer of…
The Pros and Cons of Dental Veneers on Teeth
Dental veneers make it possible for many people to have picture-perfect smiles. You might have come across people with a perfect-looking set of teeth and found yourself wondering how lucky they must be to have such teeth. The truth is, most people do not have a perfect set of teeth. It is oral prosthetics that make it possible for many of the celebrities you see on TV to have perfect smiles.
It should be noted that dental veneers are not the best solution for everyone who is unhappy with the way their smile looks. Some issues can be fixed with cheaper alternatives, like dental bonding and teeth whitening.
The best way to know if veneers are the best option for you is by considering the pros and cons of getting them.
How do dental veneers work?
Veneers are thin porcelain shells customized for the patient's teeth. These prosthetics are attached to the front of a tooth and hide any flaws on it. Veneers can be made from a wide range of materials, like ceramic, porcelain and composite resin.
These devices are commonly used to address issues like:
- Discolored teeth
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Poorly formed teeth
- Any cosmetic issue on the front of a tooth that cannot be fixed with other cosmetic treatments
With good oral hygiene, veneers can last up to 15 years.
Pros of dental veneers
- Veneers restore a patient's appearance, which in turn, improves the person's self-confidence
- It is virtually impossible to detect if a person has veneers
- Veneers do not require specialized maintenance; brushing and flossing is all that is needed
- The patient can select how white they want their teeth to be
- Veneers are often made from porcelain or ceramic, and these materials are very resistant to stains, which means veneers do more than improve the patient's appearance, they also retain their bright color over time
Cons of dental veneers
- Veneers keep their original color, but the patient's real teeth will become stained over time; this means whitening treatments become even more important when a person has veneers
- Veneers are prone to chipping, especially if the person has bad habits like grinding teeth or biting hard things
- Veneers do not cover the entire tooth, so it is still susceptible to tooth decay
- A small portion of enamel is removed when veneers are being installed
The different types of dental veneers
When considering veneers, there are a few options to choose from:
1. Porcelain veneers
These are typically the most natural-looking type of veneers. They are also one of the pricier options. They are typically attached using dental cement.
2. Instant veneers
These are premade veneers that only require a single visit for installation. They are the cheapest type of veneers but tend to be the least attractive.
3. Composite veneers
These are made from the same resins used for tooth bonding. They are not as durable as porcelain veneers but are cheaper.
4. Removable veneers
This is the newest member to the veneer lineup. They are customized for each patient and can be easily removed.
Thinking about improving your smile with veneers? Set up a consultation with one of our dentists today.
Let's get started …
For more information or to schedule an appointment with You Smile Dental, request an appointment in our Santa Clara dental office here: https://yousmiledental.com. Or call us at (408) 722-9319.
When we talk about dental restorations, most people have no idea what we are talking about. Dental restorations are just a dentist’s way of referring to a number of treatments that we offer to make your teeth whole. If we bring up the topic of a cavity filling or dental crowns, most patients will only…
You can trust our Santa Clara dentist when they say that the teeth are one of the most important parts of the body. Your teeth are responsible for chewing and grinding up your food, keeping your facial structure and giving you a beautiful smile! Most people might know how many teeth they have or how…
Do you have imperfections in your smile that you would like to turn into strengths? Perhaps you have a gap between your teeth, cracked teeth, a chipped tooth or several discolored teeth. You should know these aesthetic flaws can be corrected to return your smile to glory.There is no need to live life with yellow,…